EQT Expansion Capital I acquired Munksjö in 2005.
Munksjö is an international specialty paper company manufacturing products, which enable customers to design and produce high-value products at lower costs and with low environmental impact. Munksjö is among the leading producers in the world of Decor paper, Release Liners, Electrotechnical paper, Abrasive backings and Interleaving paper for steel. Munksjö has approximately 3,000 employees, 15 production facilities in Europe, China and Brazil, and generated net sales of approximately EUR 1.2 billion in 2013.
During EQT Expansion Capital I’s ownership, Munksjö has gone through an unprecedented cycle downturn, full financial restructuring, as well as a significant industrial transformation – including a restructuring of the manufacturing footprint, sale of two non-core assets, and active consolidation of the specialty paper industry.
The company was listed on the Helsinki Stock exchange in June 2013, and EQT exited the investment through two share placings, in May 2014 and December 2014
Key events during EQT’s ownership
- Non-core assets disposed, specifically Inpak, a producer of plastic flexible packaging, and real estate
- Industrial restructuring, reducing decor mills from six to two
- Financial restructuring, significantly improving Munksjö’s financial position
- Add-on acquisition of two mills from ArjoWiggins in 2011
- Merger with Ahlstrom's Label and Processing division, creating a world leader in specialty paper with EUR 1.2 billion in sales and approximately 3,000 employees
- Munksjö Oyj was listed on the Helsinki Stock exchange in June 2013